Sunday, March 21, 2010

The root of all evil...


"And one of the company said unto him(Jesus), Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." Luke 12:13-15
"But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." 1 Tim 6:9-10
"Money - it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody-good bullsh*t" Pink Floyd
One business that is thriving in this depressed economy is the storage unit business. People cannot seem to get rid of all their stuff! It was his "great possessions" that stopped the rich young ruler from entering into the kingdom of heaven. When I cleaned my van out, I realized that I still had too much stuff. Stuff that has to be hauled around and managed and stored. So I have gone through it once and given away several boxes, but I know that I will need to go through it again and pare it down even more. Plus, stuff seems to accumulate. Sometimes we buy stuff we dont need because it is cool, and sometimes we keep stuff because it is cool, or sentimental. We brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

sigh.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Amen! I just helped my parents move things from one storage unit to another. It seems so easily we do accumulate things in this world. I have been working hard for many years to travel light, in serving the Lord it is so much easier to move when He says move if we don't have a lot to move. Every time I move I always get rid of so much, the Lord provides for all as we travel through this world, we are just pilgrims and I thank Him for all He provides. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again...

wendyworn said...

Thanks for your comment! I remember when I had to get rid of all my stuff, it was a very plain shelf that I had had since I was a teenager, that was the thing that upset me the most to get rid of. No matter where I lived (and I moved alot) that shelf meant it was home. It was a parable that home was no longer to mean the same to me. Thank the Lord for the life lessons He teaches us!