Monday, August 21, 2023

Awful No Good Weekend


It was the hottest weekend we have had so far this summer. Thankfully, Saturday morning I was busy getting stuff done including cooking up the chicken I had taken out of the freezer. Once it hit 1pm, however, nothing more could be done. It was 109 degrees. All I could do at that point was sweat.

Even though it was hot and I was uncomfortable, I could deal with it. But the poor dog. She was panting so hard and could not get cooled down. I was pouring cold water from the fridge on her, to try to get her body temperature lowered. She knew I was trying to help her and didn't shake the water off. Then she threw up a couple times. There was nothing more I could do except clean it up and pray for her.

Sunday was worse. It was only 103 but once again the dog was too hot. At one point she started barking at me like I was at fault. She finally got tired and went to sleep. Then the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. Because, of course it did. We just got a new motor in May or June but now my husband thinks it could be the compressor. He had actually called the RV repairman last week because he wanted to get a jump on getting the heater fixed in case it would be three weeks or more to order parts. The guy will be here tomorrow. This is the second time we have made an appointment to have him look at the heater but instead he has to look at the air conditioner.

I wrote the above yesterday to be my post for today. That was before.

The dog didn't make it. She never woke up. She was very old and the heat was just too much.

The owner of the RV park came and got her and buried her on the hill. He's a good man.

I don't know what else to say. It hasn't quite hit me yet. I'm taking a couple days off. See you soon.

8 comments:

Cederq said...

I am sorry you lost a loved one. Nothing like a dog in your life to bring perspective and unconditional love. Very nice of the park's owner to attend to the burial. My sincere sadness as one of Gods better creatures is no longer with us.

wendyworn said...

thank you

A Friend said...

I’m really sorry to hear that.
Nothing anyone can say to stop the pain and make it go away.
I just feel what you’re going through and I’m sorry you are.

Anonymous said...

The price of a good dog is a broken heart.
They capture us in a unique way, and never really leave us when they're gone. I'm sure the good memories will last forever and keep bringing smiles to your faces.

Craig said...

So heartbreaking to lose a pet. My prayers for you both.

bob said...

Very sorry, I know the feeling and its not nice.
Rainbow Bridge.

Wild, wild west said...

Very sorry to hear this. Doesn't matter how old they are, you always think they should have had a little more time with you.

Mrs. has been working really hard at gentling a beautiful little feral tortoiseshell female cat to adopt out and nearly had it done when I came home today and found it dead on the road. You can only do so much. I'm just grateful Mrs. didn't find it first, and her two kittens are old enough to make it on their own. Now she has to figger out what to do about them.

wendyworn said...

im so sorry wild - it always happens so fast.