Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Goodbye Fat Dog


I thought I was going to need a couple days off after the dog passed away, yet I feel I need to talk about it. Well, I do and I don't. I feel numb. I've cried but mainly I just notice her absence. She was always underfoot. A 65 pound beagle in an RV doesn't have that many places she can go to get out of the way.

I wasn't ready for another animal after our beloved chihuahua Jo-Jo died several years ago. But my husband said he didn't think he could live without a dog. We ended up getting the dog from a co-worker who was looking to re-home her. Shortly after we brought her home I understood why the co-worker wanted to get rid of her.

She was NOT a good dog.

She was at least eight years old and possibly older than that. She was not potty-trained at all. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well, you can, it just takes a lot of effort and a lot of time. It took a year before that dog finally stopped pooping and peeing in the house. She chewed everything in sight. I was not happy. I kinda hated her.

What was worse is she set about DAY ONE to establish herself as the alpha female. She wouldn't listen or obey me at all and would look at my husband as if to ask if she had to do what I said. When I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, she would be in my spot. It literally got so bad that I started sleeping on the couch. Fine. Take the bed. Bitch.

My husband thought it was funny. Like we were fighting over him. I failed to see the humor in it. After that, the dog and I pretty much ignored each other.

Then we moved to Kansas and my husband got sick. He could no longer care for the dog. I took her for her walks in the morning before work and then in the evening. I resented her. Just one more responsibility.

Then something strange happened. I started to warm up to her. I looked forward to our walks, where I could get out into the sunshine and the wind and get away from the computer. She started to warm up to me too. She would sit next to me and wait for me to turn off the work computer and pull out my laptop. She was looking forward to our walks as much as I was. In a totally unplanned twist of irony, she stopped being my husband's dog and started being mine. I actually laughed out loud when he called to her and she wouldn't come and she looked at me to see if she had to obey him.

The Lord always gives me a heads up when bad things are going to happen in my life so I am not blind sided.

For the last couple months, the dog wasn't walking the whole circuit. I was beginning to worry about her. She started cutting through the field when she was done with her business. The walks got shorter and shorter until she eventually only wanted to go out into our yard. She was having a very hard time getting up and down the stairs and getting up off her hind legs. I knew that it was just a matter of time.

Then, suddenly, she was gone.

It's just not the same around here. Like an emptiness. I will miss her.

9 comments:

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

Sorry to hear of your loss Wendy, the older we get the harder it gets as well. That dog was not fat. It was just more dog to love.

wendyworn said...

definitely more dog to love. thanks for the comment.

Tree Mike said...

So sorry for your loss. The wife and I are dog lover's to the max. I'm 72, so we've had and lost some wonderful dogs. Never gets easier. Take time to grieve, but pretty sure you should stay open for a needful dog (How to run your life chapter 6, sorry). All our rescues seemed extra grateful. We've got 4 now. Again, so sorry.

wendyworn said...

thanks mike. if the Lord brings another animal into our lives, then I'm willing. but I probably won't go looking for one.

clayusmcret said...

I saw a meme the other day pertaining to dogs cause the best day of your life but then cause the worst day of your life. They get into our hearts as much as we get into theirs. Sincere condolences on the loss of a member of your family.

Phil said...

My condolences.
Pets are part of the family too.

Cederq said...

Why dogs have a short shelf life is one I am gonna ask the Old Lord when I stand before the pearly gate. Only reason I can make sense to me is to have a bunch of loved friends to greet me and make easy the transition.

wendyworn said...

makes sense to me.

Anonymous said...

All of our dogs are waiting for us on the other side....