Monday, August 26, 2024

The Secret Lake


My sisters arrived, safe and sound, early Saturday night. They were surprised that it was so hot and my little sister was glad I told her not to pack any warm clothes. The rental car has excellent air conditioning.

I welcomed them into our humble home and hugs were had by all. My sister brought us gifts of clothes and candy and then, a priceless treasure. My mothers recipe book – just like I remembered it. The Lord so blesses me, because when I heard that it was recently found again, I secretly wanted it. I'm looking forward to spending some time exploring it's pages and making some of the dishes I remember from my childhood. My sister told me that some of the recipes in it were in my hand writing. If I recall, my mother made an excellent meat loaf. I miss her.

We said goodbye to my husband and my sisters whisked me away to where they will be staying. When they told me they were staying at a lake in Abilene I was surprised. I didn't know there was a lake in Abilene! With one sister reading off the directions from the back seat, and the other sister driving, we made our way to our destination.

A couple miles out of town, on what I think was originally a gravel road but now is essentially a dirt road, we arrived at Red Bud Lake. It's a private lake (man made) that is surrounded by houses. A tiny oasis in a sea of corn fields.

The little house is charming, with a perfect view of the lake and comfy chairs on the deck to enjoy it. It was a too hot to sit out there for long but the beautiful little place has central air and was cool and inviting.

We visited for a while and then went into town where we shared a big plate of nachos and some cheesy fries. I took some of the fries back to my husband. Poor guy. He is stuck at home, missing out on the fun and just getting table scraps. Ha ha, don't worry, I packed him a lunch for his dinner.

More on our adventures soon. Hope you all are well. I am having a wonderful time myself. Take care out there.

3 comments:

Cederq said...

Great that you had a good time yakking with your sisters! Nice little lake, looked it up on Google Earth. There seems to be a lot of small lakes and ponds around you.

clayusmcret said...

I hope all of you have a great visit. The temps are supposed to start falling. Hang in there.

clayusmcret said...

Most of the ponds around here are cattle ponds. Yeah....don't swim in those.