Sunday, July 11, 2010

My life as a quilt. Part 1 - Redeeming the time.


Here is the other side of the quilt I am making. I have handsewn these 4 strips in just the last couple days as we have been traveling. It is going fast. We are in Basin Wyoming now. We stopped at the famous Big Horn Quilt Shop in Greybull yesterday and bought some little grab bags of various types of fabric. As soon as I finish this quilt, I am thinking of several others I want to start.

I like to listen to mp3's of sermons on line. Mostly David Eells of Unleavened Bread Ministries and Russ Dizdar of Shatter the Darkness.net. I used to listen to Pastor Meyer at Last Trumpet Ministries (and I still strongly recommend to anyone his old sermons. Lots of pearls there.) and various others. I found that when I listened to audio teachings with a pen and paper in front of me to take notes, that I would space out and my mind would wander and I would not hear the teaching. So I would play mindless games while I listened (like Bejeweled 2 online) in order to focus visually on something, thus increasing my ability to focus on listening. But after a while, I felt that was a conflict of interest. I have given up most of my game playing as a waste of my time. If it does not profit spiritually or give glory to God, then I want to eliminate it from my life.

I bought an embroidery project as a wedding present for my sister who is getting married and worked on that while listening to teachings. I felt that was a much better use of my time while listening to the Word of God taught. I sought the Lord about what I could work on next, because I was nearing the end of that project. I like to embroider, but most of the time embroidery projects are stuff that you put on the wall, or knick knacky. Another conflict of interest from someone who has gotten rid of most of her possessions including all of my paintings and other wall decor. But the Lord put the idea of a quilt in my heart because it is both beautiful AND functional.

Part of walking with the Lord and being led by the spirit is redeeming the time. In fact, both verses that talk about redeeming the time, also mention walking, and understanding what the will of the Lord is:
"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord [is]." Ephesians 5:15-17

"Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time." Col 4:5
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for always being with me and for this nice vacation. in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: