Friday, July 16, 2010

My life as a quilt - Part 2 - A time to rend


"A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7

It is interesting that "a time to rend" is listed before "a time to sew." It is even more interesting that "a time to sew" is listed in that list at all, since it obvious to me that this is a time of sewing for me.

When the Lord put it on my heart to make a quilt, I said, "What will I make it with, fabric is very expensive." but He directed me downstairs to where my sister had a bunch of boxes filled with clothes that she was going to take to Goodwill. I dug into those boxes and found many clothes that had nice fabric. Most of the clothes had originally been mine that I had given her when they got too small. So it was interesting to have my own clothes back to make into a quilt.

So armed with a seam ripper, I began to take apart those clothes. I ripped apart five shirts, 1 mini skirt (yeah, you know I'll never be wearing THAT again!) and one pair of pajama pants with little camping scenes on it (my favorite!.) I worked on it during my free time and while I listened to sermons and it still took a month and a half to rend them. The sewing itself is actually quicker than taking apart the clothes to use for the fabric.

The word rend is an interesting word. It means to tear in pieces. Rending your clothes was a sign of great mourning in the Old testament, but the high priest was NOT allowed by the law to rend his clothing - which shows the great wickedness of the high priest that condemned Jesus, because he rent his clothes. If you cast your pearls before swine (try to share the word with people who have no love of it, especially where there is no open door from the Holy Spirit) they not only trample it under their feet, but will turn and rend you as well.

But there is a verse in Joel where the Lord is calling His people to repentance and the timing is the great day of the Lord:
And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp [is] very great: for [he is] strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD [is] great and very terrible; and who can abide it? Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye [even] to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he [is] gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Joel 2:11-13
It is a time to rend our hearts before the Lord, to turn to Him with all our hearts, souls, mind and strength.

No comments: