Sunday, April 24, 2011

Little Children

This is a picture of my beautiful little grandchild Joshua. The title of the picture when it came to me was, "Fighting Dragons." Isn't that cool?!

The Lord Jesus was NOT happy with His disciples when they tried to prevent the little children from coming to Him. He said in Matt 19:14, "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

One of the terms for the phrase "little children" is the greek word Teknion. It is used 9 times in the New Testament and translated as "little children." The words the Lord uses in His Word are perfect and there are important reasons the Lord requires us to be like little children if we are to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. If we do not TRUST the Lord like little kids, he can't teach us. If we do not run after the truth of His Word like little kids, he can not show us the treasures in His Word that He has for us.

Because Peter trusted the Lord like a little kid, he was able to walk on the water - just as Jesus had. It was fear that caused Peter to start to sink. Fear - that the Lord was not completely trustworthy to keep him afloat. We - as little children - need to trust in the Lord COMPLETELY. I am writing about this because I am struggling with this. Just as I am angry at myself for feeling this way - I am battling to eliminate the fear and doubt in my life. God looks on the heart - and my head can trust the Lord - but when rubber meets the road - my heart has to completely lay down my life on the alter and trust the Lord.

I think it is a good reminder to re-read the verses from the word teknion and translated "little children."

Jesus said, "Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:33-35

Paul said, "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you," as he talked to the Galatians about their error in trying to get back under the law. Gal 4:9

John used the term teknion seven times in his epistle of 1st John:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin , we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 1 John 2:1

I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. 1Jo 2:12

And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear , we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. 1Jo 2:28

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 1Jo 3:7

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 1Jo 3:18

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1Jo 4:4

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1Jo 5:21
I would strongly recommend that you read the epistle of 1 John, because it has a lot to say to those who endeavor to trust the Lord like little children.

The Lord IS completely trustworthy. We need to come to Him as little children - in love, in trust and in obedience. We need to put away fear and doubt. We need to know that the Lord does not lead us into temptation but delivers us from evil. As little children we need to follow Him and seek Him.

Pray for me, my friends!

Blessings in Christ
Linda

No comments: