Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Filthy garments...



So yesterday I started thinking about the fact that I need to do some laundry. I got a little motel in Rockaway because I want to find out about a job before I head south again. As soon as I walked into the room I was amazed. It already had a washer and dryer in the room! I did not know that when I rented the room. Another blessing from the Lord.

At first I thought that there is not anything spiritually significant about laundry in the Bible, but then I realized that was a dumb thought. The bible if FULL of references of garments and clothes etc. Usually garments (and especially how clean or dirty a garment is) is referring to righteousness. With anything that makes a garment dirty is sin. I was surprised to see that the terms "filthy garments" was only used twice in the bible.

Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: [is] not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
Zec 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they [are] men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.
Zec 3:9 For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone [shall be] seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

No comments: