Thursday, May 4, 2023

Homemade Hot Cocoa

Since I had to throw out my big container of Nestle Hot Cocoa due to it being derived from a bye oh engine earring product, I decided to just make my own.

I used the recipe from here:

https://www.blessthismessplease.com/hot-cocoa-mix/

She does specify to use dutch-processed cocoa in the mix. I'm sorry – but we don't have those fancy schmancy ingredients out here in Kansas. At least not at my local grocery store. I just bought regular cocoa and it was a little bitter – but still very good for my first time making it. I will probably tweak the recipe a little for next time.

The recipe made a huge batch and I have enough left over ingredients to make at least one more batch if not two. The cost was about the same due to the fact that the powdered milk was very expensive – almost twelve dollars.

What my new cocoa mix does NOT have are the following ingredients that were in Nestle's brand:

Corn Syrup Solids, Dairy Product Solids (wonder what the hell that is????), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and/or Palm Kernel and/or Soybean) Cocoa processed with Alkali, and less than 2% of salt, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Caseinate, Dipotassium Phosphate (always a good time) Sodium Aluminosilicate, Mono-and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Artificial Flavor and Sucralose.

I think I can live with that. (or without it – depending on how you look at it)

Take care out there.


 

7 comments:

Crazy Hootowl said...

My wife and I identified this as another culprit right after I e-mailed you. Sucralose does very bd things to me.

wendyworn said...

So does Dipotassium Phosphate. be careful because they are adding it to half n half.

Peteforester said...

I've read over the years that the powdered milk sold at LDS Church website is pretty good. It's sold in bulk so it's a little expensive up front, but has a shelf life of 20 years! 'Thought you might want to know...

Heck; I just hit the site and found oxygen absorbers selling at HALF the price I've been paying on Amazon!

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/new-category/food-storage/5637160355.c

wendyworn said...

thanks pete - i'll take a look

Cederq said...

That is one drink I don't drink... I just don't like hot coco. I do use coco and skim milk(yeech) in cooking and baking. You mean I have to look at all the damn ingredients in everything! Might be a good idea to look in the LDS web site again and start buying stuff.

Steve said...

Dairy Product Solids....hm, is that whey protein powder. After the manufacturing of cheese there is a huge amount of whey left over. The cheese industry found a way to dry that whey out and they created another profit center for themselves.

wendyworn said...

your guess is as good as mine steve..lol