Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Situational Awareness


My niece lives in California. She was standing in front of her apartment building, looking down at her phone, when someone came and snatched her phone right out of her hands and took off. The thief jumped into a waiting car and peeled out of the parking lot.

My sister has a tracking app on the phone and said that it was thrown off a bridge 10 minutes later. She has insurance so she was able to get the phone replaced after paying a $257 deductible. I guess it is a thousand dollar phone at regular price. (My phone cost $30 at Walmart and I pay $27 dollars a month for the service. I can not imagine paying a thousand dollars for a phone. But that's just me.)

I told my sister that she needs to talk to my niece about situational awareness. She was in an extremely vulnerable position. She is lucky that just her phone was stolen. They could have snatched my niece and after doing unspeakable things, thrown HER off a bridge 10 minutes later.

I'm sure if you were to take a wild guess who the perp was – you would be correct. It is just not safe out there these days – not even standing in front of your own apartment.

Take care out there.

6 comments:

Cederq said...

Wow! I am glad your niece didn't suffer anymore then a phone snatch. Oh, 1 micro second after you said "California" and then stated "her phone was snatched" I know it was a melanin enhanced individual. I am like you, my phone from Cricket was $69 bucks and I pay $25 bucks a month for unlimited. I have no use for a $1000 phone that is more stolen than candy out of a store and you look at it funny and the screen cracks.

wendyworn said...

I'm glad that nothing more happened to her as well.

Deathray said...

I’ll take aliens from a distant galaxy, Alex for a thousand please.

wendyworn said...

wrong - but good guess! lol

Steve said...

Wow, I hope the girl learned a valuable lesson.
I have 2 sisters that live in Hawaii. They are of the left leaning....ok they are flaming liberal! Whenever I relate stories like this; to try to get them aware of "SOMETHING". They always say something like, "well it would never happen here; or it will never happen to me..."
Seesh, I always tell them that other people don't think like them and they aren't as nice as you.
Practical advice that never seems to penetrate their craniums.

wendyworn said...

I totally understand Steve. It can happen anywhere - including safe little neighborhoods. Especially now a days when things are getting more and more dangerous. Unfortunately most of these "flaming liberals" will have to learn the hard way.