Sunday, February 20, 2022

Baptism

My husband asked me what the standard is for baptism. I told him there were several schools of thought on the subject but that Jesus Himself went to get baptized. John the Baptist, baptized with water but told his followers that One would come after him that would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire. John was surprised that Jesus came to be baptized, but Jesus knew that it was a necessary step in His walk. 

“I want to get baptized.” my husband said. 

I was very happy to hear that. 

My husband is essentially bed-ridden. There was no possibility of “going down to the river” or even the tub for that matter. So, I baptized him in his chair with the Lord's blessing. We decided that we should have communion as well. I told my husband that Paul had admonished the believers for not properly discerning the Lord's body (not respecting communion) and that was why many of them were sick. 

I told my husband that the bible talked about how when people were sick, they should call the elders to lay hands on them and anoint them with oil. So I prayed, saying, that we had no elders available, only me. When I was done pouring water on his head, I dried him off and prayed over him. Then I anointed his head with oil. 

It was a very solemn occasion and I'm not sure I am doing it justice writing about it. I asked my husband how he felt afterwards. He said he felt relieved. He had been thinking about getting baptized for months. I told him not to wait so long to say something next time. But, then again, maybe the timing was perfect. 

No comments: