Friday, April 7, 2023

Gloom, Despair – You Know the Rest


I actually don't even want to post this. It's embarrassing. But I'm surprisingly optimistic.

I was having a good day yesterday. Was busy making yummy oven roasted potatoes with a little olive oil, Italian seasonings and fresh thyme. I reached into the fridge to grab some cheddar brats when I noticed that the light was out. Hhmmmm. That's not good.

At first I thought that the fridge was out. I almost started to cry, but then just decided to suck it up and deal with it. I thought if this is going to make me cry – how am I going to deal with an ACTUAL grid down scenario?

I went out with a flashlight to check the plug in. I took my little fan out and plugged it in and sure enough, it was the electrical outlet that wasn't working. I was actually happy that it was the outlet and not the fridge. We've only had this fridge for a year and the effort on my part to get it replaced was more than I can handle right now.

I rummaged around my husband's tools and found the extension cord and tried to plug the fridge into one of the outside outlets. They are not working either. They must all be connected.

It was another reminder of something that I wasn't prepared for. Our cooler was stolen out from under our RV about a year ago and we never replaced it due to lack of space. I guess I will need to go out and buy a new one and my husband will need to call the RV repairman once again.

I AM pissed about the loss of food. The mayo alone is over five dollars. I just bought that half gallon of chocolate milk for my morning coffee. It's pretty much a total loss and probably $300 worth of groceries. I also thought that if things get really bad (and we know they are going to) luxuries such as chocolate milk in your coffee will be a thing of the past. Ultimately, if I had to go without coffee, I could. It would suck, mind you, but I could do it.

Thank God it is Friday. Take care out there (and make sure you have a back-up cooler!)

12 comments:

Cederq said...

I hate it when plugs go out... Doesn't make your day. Is the plug inside the RV? Did you try to reset the circuit breaker? Can you run the extension cord to the outside and plug into the utility post?

wendyworn said...

Update: the rv guy was here - fixed the issue (GFI?) total cost: $20.

Cederq said...

Oh! You got off cheap! Most fridges/freezers don't like GFI breakers or plugs. Can you plug the refer into a non GFI circuit?

wendyworn said...

it was the whole circuit - the gfi was in the bathroom. I guess you have to push the black button before the red one. learn something new every day

Cederq said...

After reading an commenting I had to go grocery shopping, weekends it is a mad house as the mills pay on Friday and families and meth zombies shop. Anyho, I like chocolate milk and wanted to try it in my coffee and I like it! You have a convert to Wendy's coffee cult...

wendyworn said...

I'm glad to hear it! The chocolate milk survived the fridge shut down. I think I only lost the mayo. Have a great weekend Cederq!

Cederq said...

I was talking with a friend about you and I mentioned where you lived and she wanted to know if you are familiar with Cozy's Restaurant? A hole in the wall hamburger haven?

wendyworn said...

I am not familiar with it. did she say what town it was in?

Cederq said...

Where you at...

Cederq said...

it's at 109 N 7th St, Salina, Kansas

Cederq said...

It is called Cozy Inn...

wendyworn said...

I haven't been there - but if I'm ever in salina I will look it up