Tuesday, April 25, 2023

What the Day Brings

Yesterday, I ended my post saying, “we shall see what the day brings.” Well, it was a nightmare!

A month or so ago, I wrote about the shake-down that my internet provider Hughesnet tried on me and forced me to up my usage from 30 GB to 50 GB. They told me that I had gone over my allotment and purposefully SLOWED down my internet to the point that I couldn't even do my job.

On Wednesday, last week, they did it again. Purposefully slowed down my internet. When I called technical support – I got the computer voice telling me I had gone over my usage (AGAIN) but I could get a “token” for additional gigabytes for $75 dollars. I'm not going to buy extortion tokens. Just get me my internet!

“You are in luck!” the barely coherent girl said on the phone. “you can get 100 GB for the same price.” She also tried to accuse me of making a late payment. The payment I thought was for April was supposedly for March. But when I wanted to go ahead and pay for April now – she said that currently my balance due was zero and I couldn't pay for April until the 22nd. (OH MY GOD!!!! WHATEVER!)

So they took their foot of the hose and I had internet access again. Half an hour later, I had to call them back because I had NO internet. Finally got that sorted out. So that was Wednesday, then I had Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.

So yesterday morning I had super slow internet all morning and I think I got the same nitwit from before who tried to tell me that my internet was fine and it must be my VPN. I worked with our IT just to make doubly sure that it wasn't anything on my end and it was, in fact, the internet.

This time, I just asked for a supervisor right off the bat. She finally got everything up and running, having to reset the modem from her end. So basically my entire production was out the window until after lunch and I had a pounding headache. Must be nice to be an internet provider in the middle of nowhere and can squeeze the peasants whenever they want.

Take care out there.


 

5 comments:

Cederq said...

My friend Igor or Egorr depends on which blog he is commenting on has Starlink. He had to pay $600 bucks up front and is paying $110.00 a month and has had no problem except being in a populated area his internet is slower but still can download and upload faster then the local cable connection and doesn't have the problem of the cable going down. He said it is designed for area like yours that are not serviced by other internet providers. That don't pull the crap Hughesnet does with their customers and I have heard from others about the crap Hughesnet pulls and how they fleece their customers. I know I am getting tired of foreign call centers and will not deal with them, even the local friggen hospital uses them and I will not schedule anything through them unless I am standing there and will loudly tell them I don't talk with those barely comprehend English and live outside the border.

wendyworn said...

i'm going to look into them cederq - i literally cant do my job

KurtP said...

I was going to mention Starlink, but Cedreq beat me to it.
Another possibility is your Electric Co. (our co-op in central TX provides radio internet (and now fiber) for us rural areas.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

Wendy unless if you have cell service where you are you might look into T mobiles deal.

I switched to them for my phone last year and they had a portable wifi set up and I added it to my plan but only a hundred gigs so I have to manage it. They also have an in home device which my neighbor got, a little more expensive but no monthly limit.

I will probably switch to that eventually as my phone comes with 40 gig anyway but 140 gig is not enough if you're online and streaming each day.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

ps My old cable company at the house I sold must be losing customers as they are besmirching them.