Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Something's Phishy

 

My second day on the job, while I was still in Orientation, I got an email from HR saying that someone in the company was retiring with a link to a card to wish them good luck. I thought, OK, and clicked the link.

I was immediately enrolled in Mandatory Cyber Security training. I had flunked the phishing test. I learned all the different ways that cyber criminals can attack your computer (and the company.) Apparently, the world is teaming with nefarious people trying to take down your system. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Do not click links in suspicious emails.

From time to time, our IT team (who I actually believe are a bunch of sadists) sends out fake emails to test our ability to discern phishing attempts, and there is a button we can push in Outlook that reports the email as phishing. I actually got an email yesterday at work telling me that my VPN was suspended for inactivity with a link to click to get it activated. (I did have Monday off.) But since I had to sign into my VPN to access my email, that one was easy to spot. I reported it. I guess one of my co-workers got one as well.

HR and other groups (like the company name Black Alliance) send legitimate emails with links, but now I know the difference. Of course, that doesn't stop me from reporting them as phishing attempts. You can't have it both ways.

Recently, I received an email on my personal account from someone named John. Inside is nothing but a link. Of course, I didn't click it. I know better. Delete. Two more came in a little later. Nothing but a link. Delete. Delete. At this point I just marked it as spam. A couple days later, I checked my spam folder in case some wayward comment was stuck in there. It was FILLED with emails from John. Good thing I marked it as spam.

It is cooler today than it has been. That is a relief. This heat just kills me. Hope you all are well. Take care out there.

6 comments:

clayusmcret said...

There are many ways to tell (odd address is a starter) but I've told the many folks who send me links that unless there's an explanation of the link, it will never get opened.

wendyworn said...

that is the way I feel about it as well

Deathray said...

We warned you about letting Johno in. Now the entire sight and your computer are infected.

Cederq said...

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy... We did warn you. I am sure there is a Nigerian Prince that wants to come to America and know only you can help him move his millions of dollars and precious gems if you would send him $500 bucks to cover postage, oh, and he needs all of your contact and banking information for security.

I have noticed on the BN and Curmudgeon blog Phil and me moderate a lot of spamming/phishing attempts and even on my email accounts a recent increase in phishing emails. Like AI gone bad, it has gotten that bad. Every day over half of my emails are phishing mail.

Johno said...

Miss wendyworn, I find it suspicious that whenever Cederq goes on a fishing trip, he never posts any pics of his supposed catches. Could he be one of these nefarious types engaging in phishing activity? I dunno, but I think that the NSA are wise to his tricks.
Spam mail isn’t so bad, I’d never get any email otherwise.

Cederq said...

I don't waste time taking pictures Johno. If I can't remember it later, then it was worth remembering. I want to enjoy the moment, not play camera man.