Sunday, October 17, 2021

Buckeye Avenue

It is starting to get very cold in the mornings. I had to bundle up to take the dog for a walk. She likes the cold and spent several minutes sniffing before doing her business. Luckily the sun came up while we were walking and I started to warm up. It ended up being a beautiful day.

Buckeye Avenue is the main drag through Abilene. Everything you need is on that road including the Post Office. There are American flags flying on every other light pole. Several mansions line both sides and sometimes there are tours. If you take a right on 1st street, you will reach the Leopold mansion. The man who bought it was in the newspaper last week. He bought it because he thought it looked like the Addams family mansion. He is having a tour there on Halloween night from 6pm – 10pm. I think I will skip it.

Buckeye Avenue is sometimes called Eisenhower. The Eisenhower presidential library is on that road as well as car washes, churches and dollar stores. What use to be the world's largest spur is there, but I guess there is a bigger spur somewhere else now. It is pretty rusty at the moment.

I drive this way a couple times a week, when I go to the store or check the mail. There is no such thing as traffic in this town. Maybe six cars at any given time. It is peaceful here.


No comments: