Sunday, January 23, 2022

A Time to Rend and a Time to Sew

About a week or so ago, I was driving through town to check the mail like I usually do. I just happened to look over to the right and noticed a little quilt shop across the street from the post office. I said to myself, “wow! A quilt shop! I need to stop in there.” Then I laughed and said, “Yeah, what are you going to do? Buy some fabric?” (I literally talk to myself like that when I'm driving.)

The reason I thought it was funny, is I have a bin full of fabric and sewing supplies from my quilting days. It is in the storage area of our RV, having survived all the purges of stuff that I go through periodically.  

I was in a hurry at the time, so I didn't stop. The next time I drove into town was after work. I am working a new shift (which I hate by the way) where I don't get off work until 6pm. It was dark and a train was going by which had backed up what little traffic there is. I was waiting for the train right in front of the little quilt shop. I started to think the Lord was trying to tell me something. 

Maybe it's time to finish the wedding quilt.

I started the quilt pictured above years ago before I was married but had been calling it the wedding quilt since. I was going to work on it when my husband and I first got married, but just never had the time. I really feel like now is the time finish it. So, I pulled out my bin of quilting stuff and took inventory. I have plenty of needles. A lot of my safety pins were rusty, so I threw them out. 

My quilt top, the stuff that goes inside the quilt and the fabric I had picked out for the back were all in good condition. I laid it out on the bed and the backing is not big enough. I will have to cut the backing up into squares and make it larger by using other pieces of fabric from my bin. I will need to work it out on paper first. I know what direction I'm going to go. 

I did stop by the quilt shop this morning, but they are closed on Sundays. I will try again next Saturday, just to take a look around. Plus, everyone can use a new fat quarter here and there!

P.S. I knew that I had once posted this picture on my blog and wanted to find it, so I didn't have to take a new picture. I found it in August 2012! Almost ten years ago. Yeah, it's time I finished it.

No comments: