Wednesday, December 15, 2021

High Winds Warning

I woke up with a weird sense of doom this morning. I didn't really know why, but speculated that it may be that I was a little harsh when I evaluated the cultural diversity training video I watched the day before. Strongly Disagrees all the way down. I am in my first 90 days of my new job and they can let me go for any reason. But when training started, nothing was said so I assumed I was safe for now.

Around 2pm, my husband got a high winds alert on his new cell phone. It was pretty windy out. The dog went out for about 2 seconds and decided she could hold it a while longer. She was freaked out by the strong gusts. I didn't blame her. 

Around 3:30pm, it was raining hard and shaking the RV. It was thundering and lightning. Then the power went out and so did the internet. I was starting to get really worried. I called the attendance hotline to let them know. I didn't like having the power go out during my training. They just went over the nightmare it is to fill out the paperwork if you miss your out punch. Luckily everything came back on right before it was time to clock out and I was able to rejoin the training team. Phew. Nightmare avoided.

I was off work and the wind had died down. It was almost eerily quiet, like we were in the eye of the storm. I decided to run down to the little gas station store and pick up a couple things so I didn't have to go into town for a big shopping trip. 

Poor little gas station. They were hit hard by the storm. A huge chunk of the roof was blown off. I went inside and there was water everywhere. My poor landlady was frazzled and they already had an insurance adjuster there to look at the damage. I chatted with her about the storm and then said, “Oh, you probably aren't selling anything.” She answered, “Yes, we are still selling stuff.” I grabbed a couple things and then she asked me if I wanted to have the leftover Shepard's Pie from the lunch special. She didn't think it was enough for two but didn't want to deal with having to put it in the fridge. I said sure. I thanked her and went back home.

I put the Shepard's pie in the oven to re-heat and made us some salads to go with. It was an excellent dinner. (Thank you, Lord!) As soon as we were done, the wind picked up – worse than before. The two cement umbrellas by the pool had been uprooted and were dangling off the side. The power went out again. The RV was shaking back and forth and occasionally we heard a big boom, like something hit the side of us. I started to pray hard, that a bubble of protection would surround us. 

My husband started the generator. Now we have lights and internet. I wondered if the Israelite's felt like this. The plagues and storms whipping around outside their dwellings, but inside they had light. The wind died down just enough for the poor dog to go out and do her business (as quick as she could.) As I struggled to close the door when she came in, I stopped when I saw the moon. It was orange. This is not a natural storm. Major spiritual battles are going on out there. I prayed for the people who will be affected by this, like my landlady. God, help us though these storms and keep us protected, in Jesus' name. Thank you.  

 

No comments: