Friday, December 3, 2021

Sunshine - It's Not What You Think

It is 60 degrees, and a beautiful sunny day here in Kansas. It's hard to believe it is December. As I drive into town, I turn on the heat, roll down the window, crank up the radio and pretend it's summer. There are only two parking spaces in front of the post office and they are both full. I decide to circle the block and hope one of them leaves.

I take a right down 3rd Street. On the right is an old mill, several stories high. On the left are several old Victorian style houses. The houses are beautiful and unique. They use to build them with quality back in the day and the lawns looked well kept. The homes and their yards are dark, completely overshadowed by the bulk of the mill. I felt bad for the people who lived there. No sunshine for you. Ever.

Still no debit card and no equipment. My job starts in three days.

I tried to search songs about sunshine on you-tube, but it was kind of disappointing. I got quite a shock when looking through videos of “You are my Sunshine.” Here is the song as I remember it: Happy and upbeat:


But here is a version that has the original lyrics from the James Davis and Johnny Cash versions. It was not a happy song. Beware this is a creepy version when you actually hear the words. Gave me goosebumps:

Kind of reminded me of what is going on these days. A nice whitewashed version of life, but if you dig a little deeper, you start to see how it really is. It will get darker before we are through. But in the end, there will be no need for sunshine. The Father will give us all the light we need. The battle is the Lord's. He will fight for us. 

He will win.

No comments: