Thursday, December 2, 2021

Winter Abilene Style


I took my (almost) daily drive into Abilene. I remembered to mail my dad's letter, but when I got to the Post Office I realized I had forgotten to stop by the dumpster on my way out of the park. The bag full of garbage was still sitting on the floor in the front seat. Yuck. 

Nothing in the mail except ads. My husband has been waiting for his debit card for his new account for over a month. Why yes sir, you can have a checking account, we aren't going to give you access to your money though. It is ridiculous.

The yards in front of the mansions on Buckeye Avenue are all decorated for Christmas. The trees are covered in garlands and shiny little ornaments. One guy went a little overboard. He has a huge blow-up Clydesdale horse and a row of inflatable reindeer along with his lights. I just shook my head and smiled. 

The picture above is for the horse that is on the sign for Rittel's Western Wear, also located on Buckeye Avenue. Someone has put woolen blinders and a winter horse blanket on it. (I guess the blanket is called a turnout.) So the horse statue is ready for winter too.

There are three wild cats that live near the parking lot at the local Country Mart. A black one, a tan one and a strange looking gray one. Someone has built a couple of little shelters for them with bricks on top so they don't blow away with the wind. One of the bagger ladies told me, as she brought my groceries out to the car, that there is a woman in town who comes into the store just to buy cat food. Then she feeds the little feral cats. God is looking out for them too I guess. 

Bundle up guys. It's going to get cold out there.

No comments: