Monday, August 7, 2023

Not My Paprika!


I went grocery shopping early on Saturday morning. I pulled into the parking lot and realized I had forgotten my list. I have a semi-photographic memory, so I sat in the car and wrote down a new list reading the picture in my mind. I was pretty sure I had most of the things written down from the original list. (Of course I forgot butter – again!)

In the spice aisle, I picked up a bottle of McCormick's paprika ($5.03 for 2.5 oz.) The ingredients stated, “Paprika, Sodium Dioxide (to make Free Flowing)”. Are you kidding me? All of the paprika, including the generic brands had sodium dioxide. You can imagine how irritated I was. Why do they have to taint everything?

I did some research into Sodium Dioxide. Most websites I checked stated that it was safe to consume. This is a wonderful quote from here:

“Finally, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) all recognize silicon dioxide as a safe food additive.”

Well, if those guys said it is safe to eat, that means it totally is. Safe and effective. It's not like they are completely corrupt organizations with an open evil agenda to kill us all. So, I should just trust them and the science they rode in on. Yeah, Not bloody likely.

Thankfully, in another area of the store, was an end display filled with huge jars of 100% pure spices. I was able to get a 6.5oz bottle for $5.99. It has the grocery store name on it (which is locally owned) and bottled at a place called, Nutmeg Spice Company. So for roughly the same price I got three times the paprika and none of the poison. From now on I will only go to that section for spices. Sheesh!

Hope you all had a great weekend. Take care out there.

7 comments:

Steve said...

I used to get spices from a local company, like this one, in Madison, Wi. Fresh and spicy!!!
But then the company went W A A Y Y Y woke and did a bunch of wokey things...and that was 12 years ago!!!
I always wondered what happened to cause them to do that? Sniffing too much cinnamon or pumpkin latte spice?

wendyworn said...

well, they are sniffing something...

Cederq said...

Not my socks for sure... Seriously, No, you don't need or want these chemical laden foodstuffs and that is what is spiking our inflammation rates which lead to diseases and conditions contrary to good health.

wendyworn said...

agreed

Anonymous said...

Are sodium dioxide and silicon dioxide the same thing?

wendyworn said...

dont think so but you would have to look it up

Cederq said...

Sodium dioxide or actually Sodium Peroxide Na2O2 is an inorganic compound. A strong Base element.
Silicon Dioxide SiO2 or called Silica is found in quartz and in plants, animals and a major component of sand and food producers use it as an anticaking agent especially in spices.

I hope this answers your your question anonymouse.