Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Giants and Loss

Yesterday, the sermon at tonyevans.org was on Slaying the Giants in your life, based on the bible account of David slaying Goliath. Today it was on Living with Loss, where Tony Evan's son talked about his mother's death. At first I thought that the living with loss sermon didn't really apply to me, and that the two sermons were not connected. But on further reflection, I realized that it did apply to me.

Loss doesn't necessarily have to be a death in the family. I lost the job that I loved less than two months ago. I really did love that job. I loved the work and most of the people. I had some adversaries there that were constantly trying to make me look bad, but I knew how to handle them. Many times the Lord protected me from attacks I didn't even see coming. I never would have quit that job except for the mandatory vaccine requirement that just happened to show up.

The giant is the whole process of looking for a job. Filling out lengthy applications (boring!). Then they send you weird psych tests in your email box. Please check all the words that apply to you (and there is 50 words listed). You have checked too many words, please uncheck some. I'm sorry that I don't fit into your little corporate box. All sarcasm must be checked at the door for interviews. Of course I can do the work. No, I haven't worked in a call center. How hard could it be to answer the phone? Smile. Picture them naked – or that might be something else? Sigh, I hate job interviews.

What's interesting is the jobs I've gotten, I was just myself in the interview. Once an interviewer asked me, “There will be times when you will be in the office alone. Will you be okay with that?” I answered, “Well...I was in the military, so....I have been trained in hand to hand combat.” The interviewer's jaw about hit the floor. He ended up hiring me. I worked for that company for five years.

I haven't heard back yet about any jobs. I will let you know.

No comments: