Monday, October 24, 2022

Harsh Realities

It is interesting that this article was recently posted over at Global Research:

The Last Temptation of Things

If you don't have time to go read it (although I think you should – just for the fact that it is a good read away from the usual nauseating news) it is discussing the fact that the author and his wife recently helped clean out a friend's house of all their stuff.

I was trying to think about things I could do to work for myself, should everything collapse. Besides making quilts (which take about 4 months to hand-sew and that is working 8 hrs a day), organizing and sorting through stuff is something I'm actually good at.

I helped my parents downsize their 4 bed-room 2-story house when they moved into an apartment. Their realtor (spellcheck is insisting that realtor be capitalized!) asked me if I wanted a part-time job helping people stage their homes for selling. I had to turn her down because I was getting ready to move out of the area. I was very disappointed having to say no.

One thing that never, ever changes over the centuries no matter what is going on in the world: people die and leave behind all their belongings. Someone, somewhere has to sift through all their things and find a place for them to go, whether it is to give away, sell or just discard.

I spent the summer organizing our tiny home. Mostly to make room for preps and extra canned goods, but there are still pockets here that could use some attention. I have a couple more 4 day weekends coming up in November. Maybe I will see if there is more I can do.

Have a good Monday, take care out there.


 

2 comments:

Cederq said...

As I downsized to live in a 19' travel trailer,I still bought a 5X8' cargo trailer for my stuff that I thought I couldn't do without. I have since got rid of that trailer now in an apartment I have started "buying" stuff and I really don't like it, owning stuff. The trailer is calling me back, like a siren song and I am heeding it's sweet melody! Come spring I am back in it and getting rid of this stuff. I am even cutting back even further. Stuff owns you, you do not own stuff... Only way I will own stuff again if I am back in the woods away from people living next to me, around me. This apartment living is pure hell.

wendyworn said...

totally agree! still have tools that need sorting - just not sure what to do with them and no time to do it.