Saturday, July 23, 2022

Pancake Memories

My husband wanted pancakes for dinner yesterday. I had some blueberries, so I made us some nice blueberry pancakes. They were yummy!

When I was growing up, my mom would make us pancakes for breakfast on Saturday mornings. She would cook up all the batter and whatever pancakes didn't get eaten then, she would leave on the counter on a plate. Then later when she got hungry, she would spread jam on it, roll it up like a jelly roll and have it as a snack.

One summer, two of my uncles, who were both 14 years old at the time (I was seven) came over to baby sit my sisters and I while my parents went shopping. We were all sitting around the kitchen table. There happened to be a pancake on a plate sitting on the kitchen counter.

I don't know how it got started, but one of my uncles picked up the pancake and threw it like a frisbee at the other uncle. The other uncle threw it back. (It was a very sturdy pancake). They threw it back and forth several times. It landed on the floor, but one uncle just scooped it up and chucked it at the other. When they got bored of that, they just brushed it off and put it back on the plate.

Shortly after that my parents came back from the store. My mom spread some jam on the pancake, rolled it up and ate it. She did not understand why we were all laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt. She ordered us all out of the kitchen.

To this day, I don't think she knows what really happened with that pancake.

It was ironic that when I was putting some plastic wrap on the left-over pancakes last night that it reminded me of her. Then I remembered to call her because it was her birthday! I wished her a Happy Birthday and told her that putting the plastic wrap on the pancakes reminded me to call her. She thought that was really funny, because she could see that. Happy Birthday Mom! Miss you!

[Personal Update: It's been CRAZY hot here the last couple weeks. I have had to get as much done as I can in the mornings before work, which is why I haven't been able to post new blogs for the last couple days. After work it is so hot and humid, can't do much more than sit around and sweat.]

Anyway – take care out there!

3 comments:

Cederq said...

Wendy, women don't sweat, they glow... I miss those days of family.. bring's back some of my cherished memories. Ate a lot growing up of pancakes, money tight, Dad being in the service. It hasn't been hot here yet, about 82 degrees for the high last several days and a nice breeze blowing. I know keep it to my self. When I do make pancakes I like to add fruits and bacon bits to mine batter. And then pour true maple syrup... ambrosia. Do you like to cook? Are you a good cook?

wendyworn said...

LOL! Cederq - women only glow when they pregnant. I'm sweating right now -It is 100 degrees here and the poor A/C just can't keep up - although, I am very thankful for what A/C we do have.

I would not say I like to cook. But I am a pretty good cook out of necessity. The secret is to know your spices. And yes, definitely real maple syrup. None of that high fructose fake stuff.

Cederq said...

Oh I know about glowing women, beside working neonatal I worked some nights Labor and Delivery. I liked my pregnant ladies... and they liked how attentive and gentle I was with them and calm. A big Irish/Swede farm boy, birthing babies wasn't any different from helping birth foals, calves, piglets, kids, the mothers instinctively knew we were there to help and were calm and confident. I sure had a lot of funny looks from husbands/boyfriends and fathers and I was confronted a couple times, the mommy would tell them to knock it off . They would say he already had a look seeing how far they were crowning and any unusual discharge. I like to cook and help cook and I always wash the dishes... kinda OCD about dishes, don't ask.